In an effort to decrease the dangers and consequences of alcohol purchased by minors in our county, The Coalition, Inc. has partnered with the Angelina County Sheriff’s Department, the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission (TABC) and TxDOT to conduct alcohol stings. Under the direct supervision of law enforcement officers, juveniles under the legal age to drink/purchase alcohol are used as decoys to enter businesses that are licensed to sell alcohol and then attempt to purchase alcohol.
“The ultimate goal is to protect the youth of Angelina County from underage drinking, which is proven to increase the risk of impaired driving and other consequences,” said Sharon Kruk, Executive Director of The Coalition, Inc. “We are grateful for the local retailers who train their employees on responsible beverage service and correct alcohol sales. It’s up to all of us to work together to protect our youth from the consequences of underage drinking.”
During the last sets of minor sting operations, there were 33 businesses who did not sell to minors and 3 businesses who did sell to minors. Stings were done at some stores twice and designation has been given below to businesses who did not sell to minors during either of the stings. We commend those stores who did not sell alcohol to minors in our community and recognize them for helping to combat underage drinking:
- Dollar General Store #9776, 2606 US Highway 69 North;
- Big’s #3822, 3644 US Highway 69 North (2 visits);
- Family Dollar Store #8300, 3676 US Highway 69 South (2 visits);
- Dollar General Store #20058, 7014 US Highway 69 North, Pollok (2 visits);
- 69 Kountry Store, 10951 US Highway 69 North, Pollok (2 visits);
- Brookshire Brothers Express #3, 6925 US Highway 69 North, Pollok (2 visits);
- Hernandez Grocery and Mexican Restaurant, 4602 Highway 103 West;
- Big’s #3811, 2701 North Raguet Street;
- Lucky’s, 1707 North John Redditt Drive;
- Big’s #3819, 103 North John Redditt Drive;
- West Loop Chevron, 904 South John Redditt Drive;
- Roma Italian Bistro, 918 South John Redditt Drive;
- AMC Lufkin 9, 4600 South Medford Drive;
- Super Mart Store, 702 Southwood Drive;
- JR Food Mart, 1114 East Denman Avenue;
- Uday #31, 6480 US Highway 69 South;
- Homer Mini Mart, 7075 US Highway 69 South;
- On the Road #102, 2909 East Denman Avenue;
- Guru Trading, 2215 East Denman Avenue;
- La Michoacana Meat Market; 416 Atkinson Drive;
- Gas N Go #1, 401 North Timberland Drive;
- Diboll Depot, 1605 North Temple Drive, Diboll;
- Just Stop, 605 North Temple Drive, Diboll;
- Dollar General Store #1695, 225 North Temple Drive, Diboll;
- Brookshire Brothers #35, 221 North Temple Drive, Diboll;
- On the Way, 701 South Temple Drive, Diboll;
- Neches Pines Golf Course, 900 Lumberjack Drive, Suite A, Diboll;
- Snappy Food Mart Diboll, 1580 North Temple Drive, Diboll;
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store #622, 2301 1 st Street;
- Sam’s Club, 407 North Brentwood Drive;
- HEB Food Store #617, 111 North Timberland Drive;
- Walgreens #05792, 102 North Timberland Drive; and
- CVS Pharmacy #6846, 1204 East Lufkin Avenue.
2 businesses sold to minors and administrative action was taken against the individuals who sold the alcohol:
- Pilot Travel Center, 1920 East Denman Avenue; and
- On the Road, 4110 South 1 st Street.
One business sold to a minor during the first sting and a second sting was done later in the year. During the second minor alcohol sting, the business did not sell to the minor. We commend this business for training their employees and following-up on the policies regarding the sales of alcohol:
- Brookshire Brother Express #113, 15284 N US Highway 69, Pollok.
Sale of alcohol to a minor is a class A misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $4,000, confinement up to a year in jail, or both. Persons 21 or older (other than a parent or guardian) can be held liable for damages caused by intoxication of a minor under 18 if the adult knowingly provided alcoholic beverages to a minor or knowingly allowed the minor to be served or provided alcohol beverages on the premises owned by or leased by the adult.
Since 1988, The Coalition has focused on eliminating the use of harmful substances by affecting public policy, laws, attitudes and behaviors, all in an effort to foster healthy life-long choices for the local community. The Coalition is partially funded by a grant from TxDOT. For more information on how to help prevent underage drinking, contact The Coalition at 936-634-9308.