The Coalition, Inc. has partnered with the Polk County Sheriff’s Department in an effort to prevent and reduce the harmful use of tobacco products in rural areas like East Texas, where tobacco-related health problems are more prevalent.
The Polk County Sheriff’s Department targeted area businesses that sell tobacco. The age limit to purchase tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, is now 21, per the new guidelines from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). Out of the 54 attempts done in December and February, 12 citations were issued to the following businesses that sold tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, to minors.
The businesses that sold tobacco products to minors include:
· Right Stop on 11256 US Hwy 190 E in Livingston;
· 146 Travel Center on 5060 Hwy 146 S in Livingston;
· Super Stop Food Mart on 111 Pan American Dr;
· Veterans Mart on 1809 N Washington in Livingston;
· Brookshire Brothers #21 1253 W Church St in Livingston;
· Livingston Food Mart on 1600 W Church St in Livingston;
· Smokers Paradise N Novelties on 2108 US Hwy 190 W in Livingston;
· Stripes Store 41012 H on 2301 US Hwy 1990 W in Livingston;
· T-Jaks on 158 FM 1276 in Livingston;
· Best Stop #6 on 1155 E Church St in Livingston;
· Star Korner 1 on 602 Pan American in Livingston;
· Z Food Mart 2400 N Washington Ave in Livingston.
We commend those businesses who did not sell tobacco products to minors in our community. The Coalition and the Polk County Sheriff’s Department thank all of these stores for protecting the youth of Polk County from the dangers of tobacco and nicotine. For a complete list of those businesses that were under compliance, or for more information, please contact The Coalition at (936) 634-9308 or firstname.lastname@example.org.