The Coalition, Inc. has partnered with the Polk County Sheriff’s Department in an effort to prevent and reduce the harmful use of tobacco products in rural areas like East Texas, where tobacco-related health problems are more prevalent.
The Polk County Sheriff’s Department targeted area businesses that sell tobacco. The age limit to purchase tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, is now 21, per the new guidelines from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). However, all sting operations used a minor under the age of 18 in order to allow retailers time to update current practices and train employees. Out of the 61 businesses involved in the minor sting operation, 10 sold tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, to minors.
The businesses that sold tobacco products to minors include:
· Brookshire Brothers #24 on 100 S Home Street in Corrigan;
· Stripes Store 41037H on 702 S Home Street in Corrigan;
· Brookshire Brothers #71 on 14658 Highway 190 W in Onalaska;
· Circle K #2741439 on 13710 US Highway 190 W in Onalaska;
· O’Lucky Food Mart #2 on 900 W Church St in Livingston;
· Valero Corner Store #589 on 313 South Houston Ave in Livingston;
· Dollar General Store #13180 on 380 FM 2457 in Livingston;
· Dollar General Store #15664 on 7559 FM 3126 in Livingston;
· Dollar General Store #17250 on 881 State Hwy Loop 393 in Goodrich;
· Dollar General Store #14755 on 4816 State Highway 146 South in Livingston.