The average American eats 27 pounds of bananas every year — and it’s no wonder, bananas not only taste great, they are also good for your health.
As an excellent source of dietary fiber, complex carbohydrates, vitamins and other nutrients, bananas are low in calories, have no fat, sodium or cholesterol. So, incorporating them into your diet just makes sense.
While bananas on their own make a great snack, they can also be enjoyed in appetizers, desserts, salads, smoothies, and baked goods, too.
For a sweet and savory delight, try this recipe for healthy Coconut Crusted Banana & Shrimp Skewers with Hazelnut Habanero Mole Dipping Sauce.
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
• 2 egg whites
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
• 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
• 1/2 tsp. grated ginger
• Zest of 1 lime
• 1 large habanero pepper (seeded and stem removed) (optional)
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic
• 1 cup tomato purée
• 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
• 1/3 cup hazelnut spread
• 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. chili powder
• 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
• 1/4 tsp. cumin
• 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
• Mole sauce: Place habanero, onion, garlic, tomato purée, chicken broth, hazelnut spread, tomato paste, salt, cinnamon, chili powder, cloves and cumin in food processor. Purée until well combined.
• Melt the coconut oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add mole sauce to the pan and simmer over medium for 30 minutes, remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
• In a bowl, combine flour, paprika, salt and pepper. In a second bowl, whisk together egg whites and egg. In a third bowl, combine panko, shredded coconut, ginger and half the lime zest.
• Coat banana slices and shrimp in the flour mixture, egg and coconut mixture.
• Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium. Fry banana in batches, about two to three minutes, turning frequently until golden. Add more oil, if necessary. Fry shrimp in batches, about four to five minutes, turning frequently until coating is golden and shrimps are pink.
• Remove from oil and drain on paper towel-lined plate. Skewer two banana slices and two shrimp onto five skewers. Serve with sauce and garnish with remaining lime zest.
Bananas are a great nutrient-dense power food, providing natural energy to fuel active lives. Pack a banana wherever you go and you’ll always have a quick, convenient source of nutrition to pick you up and keep you going.