Texas Transportation Commissioners last week approved new projects statewide that totaled $241.4 million and included four new construction projects in the Lufkin District that totaled $9 million in Angelina, Nacogdoches, San Augustine and Trinity counties.
Construction projects approved for the Lufkin District included:
A $2.8 million construction project was approved for US 59 that will include resurfacing existing pavement from the Angelina River Bridge south to just north of FM 2021. Moore Brothers Construction, Lufkin, will serve as contractor.
A $477,950 construction project was approved for the Lufkin District office that is designed to upgrade security systems at the complex on North Timberland Drive in Lufkin. ASKI Procurements, Austin, will serve as contractor.
A $1.8 million construction project on FM 1878 was approved that is designed to replace the La Nana Creek Bridge and approaches in Nacogdoches. This project is located adjacent to Stephen F. Austin State University and the La Nana Creek trail in Pecan Park. The current bridge was built in 1953 and widened in 1971. The new bridge will include a four-span concrete slab beam bridge with concrete decking on drilled shafts, four 11-foot lanes, five foot paved shoulders, five-foot sidewalks on each side and the addition of bridge rails that will separate pedestrian from vehicular traffic. Drewery Construction Company, Nacogdoches, will serve as contractor.
A $2.4 million construction project was approved that is designed to replace the bridge and approaches at Niciper Creek on SH 21. Longview Bridge and Road, Longview, will serve as contractor.
Two projects were approved for US 287 that will include reconstructing existing pavement from SH 94 to FM 355 and safety treating fixed objects from SH 94 to Harrison Avenue in the city of Groveton. The pavement reconstruction was approved for $1.7 million and safety treating fixed objects was approved for $157,895. A.L. Helmcamp, Inc., Buffalo, will serve as contractor.
As these new projects begin, motorists are urged to stay alert through construction areas. Obey all signage and posted speed limits. Prepare for delays, detours and daily lane closures as construction progresses. For updates on these and other projects, visit drivetexas.org.
For more information, email Rhonda.Oaks@txdot.gov or call (936) 633-4395.
- Megan Whitworth is the former creative director of Texas Forest Country Living. Growing up in East Texas, Megan discovered her love of writing at the age of 11, writing song lyrics and poetry, which turned into essays and articles for publications around East Texas. She later added photography into the mix capturing Friday night football games, the latest fashion looks, and portraits of people around the nation. Megan enjoys karaoke, blogging, reading, and road trips. She resides in Lufkin with her husband, Ryan, and two cats, Felix and Lucy.
- Community2017.04.03Transportation Commission Approves New Projects
- Community2017.04.03Lufkin District Projects Included in Long Range Plan
- Education2017.04.03Top Tips for Understanding and Paying Back Your Student Loans
- Education2017.04.03National Retirement Planning Week: Help Meet Your Retirement Income Goals