LUFKIN – The Texas Transportation Commission on Thursday approved more than $514.9 million in new construction projects statewide, with more than $4.7 million approved for the Lufkin District. In addition, more than $40.7 million was approved for maintenance contracts statewide, with more than $2.5 million approved for the Lufkin District.
Construction projects approved for districtwide locations include:
- Two projects, a $2.36 million and a $2.35 million were awarded to Stripe-A-Zone, Inc., Grand Prairie, TX, for the installation of profile pavement markings at various districtwide locations in Angelina, Nacogdoches, San Augustine, Sabine, Houston, Trinity, Polk, San Jacinto and Shelby counties.
Maintenance contracts approved for the district include:
- A $718,542 bridge maintenance project was awarded to Scott Tucker Construction Company, LLC Fort Worth, TX that includes:
Angelina County: BU 69 NB at the Union Pacific Railroad; Spur 278 at Hurricane Creek and SH 103 at Crawford Creek
Houston County: US 287 at Mayes Branch, SH 21 at Big Creek and FM 1280 at Lost Creek
Nacogdoches County: SH 7 at the Attoyac River and FM 343 at the Angelina River
Polk County: US 190 at Choates Creek, FM 942 at Brushy Creek and FM 942 at McManus Creek
Sabine County: SH 21 at Carrice Creek, SH 87 at Housen Bayou Relief, SH 87 at Big Sandy Creek Relief and FM 2971 at Housen Bayou
San Augustine County: FM 705 at Copelle Creek, FM 3153 at Palo Gaucho Bayou and FM 3153 at Cypress Creek
San Jacinto County: SH 105 at Peach Creek, SH 156 SB at Stephens Creek, FM 945 at Sand Creek and FM 222 at Huffman Creek
Shelby County: US 96 at BNSF Railroad, SH 87 at Tenaha Slough, US 59 at Flat Fork Creek Slough #2, FM 947 at Nelson Creek and FM 947 at Ship Creek
Trinity County: SH 19 at Tantabogue Slough
- A $1.3 million maintenance contract that includes on-call traffic control services for Nacogdoches, Sabine, San Augustine and Shelby counties. Area Wide Protective, Inc., North Canton, OH, will serve as contractor for the maintenance section services.
- $520,270.28 maintenance contract that includes on-call traffic control services for Polk and San Jacinto counties. Area Wide Protective, Inc., North Canton, OH, will serve as contractor for the maintenance section services.
As these projects begin, motorists are urged to stay alert and reduce speed through work zones. For more information about road conditions and closures statewide, visit drivetexas.org. For more information on these and other Lufkin District projects, contact Rhonda.Oaks@txdot.gov or (936) 633-4395.
- Rhonda Oaks is the Public Information Officer for the nine-county Lufkin District of the Texas Department of Transportation. A Lufkin native, she is a graduate of Hudson High School and Angelina College. She has a background in print journalism and worked for many years as a newspaper reporter and a freelance writer. She has received eight Associated Press awards. Her articles have been published in many publications over the past 25 years.