(Austin, TX) – State Representative James White reminds students in House District 19 that the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is accepting applications for the Don’t Mess with
Texas Scholarship. The scholarship recognizes the achievements of Texas high school seniors who take a leadership role in maintaining clean communities and preventing litter on their school
campuses and their neighborhoods.
The scholarship is open to any public, private, or home school student who plans to attend an accredited Texas college or university this following year. Student essays should describe creative
and/or sustainable solutions to prevent litter and build awareness of TxDOT’s Don’t Mess with Texas Initiative. Students may apply online by April 20th at 5 p.m. at http://www.dmwtscholarship.org/ or print a physical application at: http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/docs/DMWT_Scholarship_Application.pdf.
“I am thankful to TxDOT for providing an opportunity to not only raise awareness of maintaining our communities clean and beautiful but for provided young minds with the support they need to
further their education. I encourage our school district staff to encourage students in the district to apply for this terrific scholarship,” said Rep. White. Please do not hesitate to contact either Saul Mendoza, Chief of Staff, or Shawn Dunn, District Director, with questions regarding this release at 512-463-0490 or 409-283-3700.
- James White is a Texas State Representative for Hardin, Jasper, Newton, Polk, and Tyler counties. He graduated with a doctorate in political science from the University of Houston. White served in the U.S. Army and worked as a public school educator and coach before being elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 2010. During his time as a Representative, White has worked on issues such as taxes, school funding, mental health, and more. He maintains a cattle ranch in Tyler County, attends Hillister Baptist Church, and is a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, and the Texas Farm Bureau.
- Education2018.03.27Applications for TxDOT’s Don’t Mess with Texas Scholarship Are Open
- General2018.03.20Post-Harvey Hazard & Flood Mitigation Funding
- General2018.01.12Southeast Texas Transportation Improvement Projects Update
- Education2017.09.20Rep. White Announces Start of 2017-2018 High School Aerospace Scholars Project