The Coalition, Inc. has partnered with the Angelina County Sheriff’s Department in an effort to prevent and reduce the harmful use of tobacco products in rural areas like East Texas, where tobacco-related health problems are more prevalent.
The Angelina County Sheriff’s Department targeted area businesses that sell tobacco. The age limit to purchase tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, is now 21, per the new guidelines from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). However, all sting operations used a minor under the age of 18 in order to allow retailers time to update current practices and train employees. Out of the 146 businesses involved in the minor sting operation, 14 sold tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, to minors.
The businesses that sold tobacco products to minors include:
· JR Food Mart on 1114 E Denman Ave in Lufkin;
· Big’s 3812 on 4609 E State Highway 103 in Lufkin;
· Dollar General Store #6593 on 6975 State Hwy 94 in Lufkin;
· Vapor World on 4600 S Medford Dr in Lufkin;
· Diboll Depot on 1605 North Temple Drive in Diboll;
· Midway #29 on 3008 Atkinson Drive in Lufkin;
· Homer Mini Mart on 7075 South US Highway 69 in Lufkin;
· Brookshire Brothers #35 on 221 North Temple Dr in Diboll;
· Little Boots on 101 South US Highway 69 in Huntington;
· Family Dollar Store #08300 on 3676 South US Highway 69 in Lufkin;
· A Deel’s Truck Stop on 3889 North US Highway 69 in Lufkin;
· Super S Food Mart on 702 Southwood Dr in Lufkin;
· 69 Kountry Store on 10941 North US Highway 69 in Pollok;
· Dollar General Store #9776 on 2606 North US Highway 69 in Lufkin.