Roadrunners Riding Seven-Game Winning Streak
There’s no other explanation for the Angelina College Roadrunners’ recent seven-game winning streak. A team that struggled to find early-season consistency has begun putting things together to mount the longest current winning streak in the conference.
The ‘Runners began their tear following a 5-4 loss to Bossier Parish back on March 19. AC rebounded with a pair of one-run wins the take the series, then swept TCS Post Grad in a non-conference doubleheader, outscoring their opponent 16-5 in the two games.
Then came this past weekend’s road trip to Mt. Pleasant to face conference foe Northeast Texas Community College. AC took the series opener 7-4 behind Cort McPherson’s 3-for-4 day. The sophomore and Lufkin native drove in two runs with a homer and two doubles in the win.
The Roadrunners followed Friday’s win with a Saturday sweep, taking down the Eagles 7-1 and 10-7. In the opener, AC starter Carson Lance no-hit NTCC for six innings, finally finishing with a one-hitter.
The wins piling up not only helped build a nice streak, but they also pushed AC into a four-way tie for second place in Region XIV’s East Zone. The Roadrunners (14-15, 6-6) are locked in a dead heat with Panola College, Paris College and Bossier Parish College.
Alvin, in the South Zone, is in second place at 14-12-2, 9-5-2.
Game time on Tuesday is 3 p.m. for the single, nine-inning game.
The e-mail address for AC’s Sports Information Director is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sports Information Director Gary Stallard, who also serves as a Liberal Arts Instructor, begins his eleventh season with Angelina College. Following a career as a U.S. Marine, Stallard completed his bachelor’s degree at Stephen F. Austin University, where he majored in English and Journalism. For more than 16 years, he has worked as a sports writer/columnist/photographer for the Lufkin Daily News; he continues to contribute free-lance articles on occasion. Stallard has won several awards for writing, including the Golden Hoops Award for basketball writing in 2003, Regional Sports Writer of the Year in 2004, and the Texas Press Association’s first-place award for column writing in 2007 and in 2014. He has also done basketball, football and baseball radio and live streaming play-by- play and color commentary for an ESPN affiliate. Currently Stallard serves as play-by-play broadcaster for AC basketball, baseball and softball games. Prior to arriving at Angelina College, Stallard taught English at Lufkin High School for four years. He currently teaches Developmental Writing classes at AC. He and his wife Susan live in Lufkin.
- Sports2018.01.15Lady Roadrunners Drop Heartbreaker to No. 5 Trinity Valley Mack Finishes with 25/15 Effort in Loss
- Sports2018.01.15Lady Roadrunners Face No. 5 Trinity Valley at Home
- Sports2018.01.08Roadrunners Battle Past Navarro Henson Ignites Second-Half Flurry
- Sports2018.01.08San Jacinto Snaps Lady Roadrunner Win Streak Mack’s Triple-Double Not Enough for No. 19 Angelina College